View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #29
1955cj5

Default Re: Answers to questions here telling them to look in club mag.

It's been almost 3 years since I brought my ccpu home. It came with a book by Jim Schild and another by Mack Hils.

I knew next to nothing about Model A's at the time, other than being able to start and drive it..

The Schilds book taught me how to set the timing after I took the distributor upper plate off (learning quickly that this totally upset the previous setting) looking for the reason why there was no power at the points (turned out to be the old repop ignition switch). Ran fine after the fault was found and timing was set. Thank goodness I had that book...

I learned about and bought the Les Andrews red book after joining and reading posts on The Ford Barn.

One of the best things that happened was a local Barn member and long time Model A owner contacted me through a PM and he has been an huge help as well as a good friend ever since.

I was encouraged to get the Judging Standards. I thought that this truck will never be in any judged show so why get the JS?

Turns out it is a great resource for checking whether my truck has the correct parts for it's year of manufacture and helps when buying replacement parts, especially used parts.

After nearly 90 years much can happen to a vehicle and many things had been changed or modified or were just plain missing.

The other book I was encouraged to buy was the Service Bulletin reprint.

Another excellent resource, and just paging through it I learned much about the various parts and systems in the truck, and what changes were made along the way.

I would say that though I have a minimal library, all the books have been used to the point of the pages getting dog eared....

This truck has been in the family since 1962..I more or less grew up with it, though it spent most of it's time in the barn, being drive only occasionally.

I've learned more about the Model A in the last 3 years than I had in the previous 55 years!

Randy