View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #11
Jim/GA

Default Re: Muffler Clamp Finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Another good question while we are on the subject: does MARC allow muffler cement/sealant on the flanges?
MARC does not "allow" or "disallow" anything.

It's your car, you are allowed to do anything you want to it. Many of us strive to rebuild and restore our cars as closely as we can to the way they were originally built, to the best of our abilities and to extent our budgets will allow.

The authors of the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards (RG&JS), dedicated members of both MARC and MAFCA, have spent thousands of hours of research to give us their best, document case for how the cars were originally built. They are not infallible, but are pretty darn good -- really good. If you don't have a copy of the RG&JS, I recommend you get one and read it.

So the only person who decides what is allowed on your car is you. You get to choose how closely you want to adhere to the RG&JS or not. For some of us, close adherence is a goal; for others, it is not. I encourage everyone to make their decisions from a position of knowledge and understanding by consulting the RG&JS first, and then do what you want to do.

To answer your question, if you applied a thin film of muffler sealant on the flange and then assembled, and no one could see that it was there, then who would know and who would care? If an excessive amount was applied and it squeezed out and was clearly a mess, then I would expect some point deduction in Fine Point Judging, because it's about both authenticity and craftsmanship.

The most important thing is to Have Fun with your Model A! However you define Fun is what's important, not how others define Fun.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote