Thread: Uphill oil leak
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Bob Johnson

Default Re: Uphill oil leak

Marshall,

I had read your article while researching this oil leak. The bolts appeared to be tight. Unfortunately I did not try to wiggle them. But the cap was a little hard to install. I had to tap it up once I had it aligned with the bolts. With all the testing I must have taken it on and put it back on close to 10 times. In all those times the bolts did not move up at all. Also the cap fit was always tight around the bolts. If I take the cap off again I will try to wiggle them but I do not think they will wiggle.

I would like to add some additional information about the leak. When I was looking through the inspection hole with the car at an angle the leak was seen coming down the back edge of the rear main cap. I should have shot a video because describing it requires me to intemperate what I saw. It appeared to me that the oil was not coming from just the bottom of the rear main cap. I could see oil all along the rear edge of the cap. I could not physically see the back of the block above the cap so I do not know if there was oil coming out there. It also appeared the the oil stream became bigger as it move down from the top of the cap to the bottom. I was looking in at the drivers side of the engine. Again there did not appear to be any oil leaking out in the shim area, only at the back corner of the rear main cap.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote