View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Default Re: Remove pin from Clutch and brake Pedal Shaft

I would advise not attempting this project with the bell housing in the car, This is a job for it on the work bench. You could easily paint yourself into a corner.

There are two types of pin. Most have a domed head and are peened on the inside. The way to remove it is to use a chisel to knock the head off. Then with a punch drive it inward.

The second is a tapered pin, which most people use when replacing a pedal shaft. These have to be driven out from the inside. I would recommend not trying to drill either out.

Once the pin is out, the next problem is getting the shaft itself out. Some are found extremely tight. I made up a tool that presses them out from the inside.

If you succeed getting both the pin and the shaft out, the next challenge is installing the new shaft.

two problems:

1. They go in tight, I use a shop press. Don't hammer on the end of the shaft because you will cause it to mushroom and you won't be able to get the pedals on. If you are going to use a hammer use a block of wood between the hammer and the end of the shaft.

2. The trick is to get the shaft installed so that the hole in the shaft lines up with the hole in the housing, not an easy task. If you miss, it has to come back out again to start over. Even if you get it in and it looks like both holes are lined up, run a drill bit through both to clean it up so the new pin does not hang up.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote