View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
19Fordy

Default Re: 1947 mercury rear axle hub help

Dear mll1446:
There is only one correct way to install the bearing, grease seal and snap ring - in that order. Any other method will yield problems down the road. The snap ring safely secures the bearing and seal from working loose. What you perceive as a grove for a second snap ring snap ring for the bearing is really the edge of the machined surface on which the bearing fits. There is no separate snap ring for just the bearing. The bearing needs room to move laterally and also rotate so as not to brinell and destroy the rollers by having it sit in one spot and rotate. As was said earlier, the correct way is to install the bearing first, then the seal, then the snap ring.
Any other way is just plain wrong. OEM rear wheel bearings are hard to find and expensive so, please, install it correctly.

One more thought. Just think how difficult it would be to remove a separate snap ring that held only the bearing in place. That snap ring may go in easily but would be "a bear" to remove. Henry Ford was not the kind of fellow who would use 2 snap rings when 1 would do the job. Cheaper and faster to use only 1. Hope all these posts are helpful and convincing.
I installed new rear wheel grease seals in 1963 when I bought my car. I knew the owner and the folks at the gas station that serviced his car since new. When I took it apart in 1963 there was only one snap ring - just as in the photos. Only difference was that the seals were leather, not neoprene like today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5549 (Small).jpg (38.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7393.jpg (43.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7443small.jpg (43.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7327small.jpg (72.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote