Thread: 35 transmission
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Hoop

Default Re: 35 transmission

Keith, I believe you have come over to V8's from the Model A side with that great 3 window. There are a couple of things that you should be aware of when dealing with transmissions.

First, the car's serial number is stamped on the transmission above the inspection hole/plate on the bell. Unlike Model A's, there is no engine stamp ... instead there's a transmission number.

You have a couple of transmissions ... one in your car and a spare. The FIRST thing I would do is check and see if either of their numbers match your car's number stamped on the top of the left frame in front of the firewall. If you have a match, there's a great deal of satisfaction and value associated with that.

I have 2 1935 Fords. When I bought one of them, the seller had a pile of parts destined for the recycler and told me to help myself. The ORIGINAL transmission was in the pile. I promptly rebuilt it using later "1939 style" gears ... a designed interchange update ... and proudly have the correct, original transmission installed.

Use Mac Van Pelt's site to very carefully identify which gears are in which transmissions ... which shifter tops you have ... and proceed carefully since even Ford Barn can get advice backwards.