View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #18
badassfrombadaxe

Default Re: Calling all Transmission Gurus

The central shifter early floor shifts have the cluster below the mainshaft. The side loader column shifts have the cluster up on the passenger's side sort of on an arc so the pre-48 side loader gears have the same center to center as the central shifters. ("top loader" is a 60's term for some of the 4-speeds of that era. I am trying to find out about the "housing guide pin" 7206 used in the central shifters. Perhaps it is only available in the shifter as a completed assembly or is wholesale bench stock at transmission shops. Doesn't it ever wear out? My experience is with 35 straight low/reverse types jumping out of gear with a missing cover procured from a junkyard and later Datsun pickup locked up with no neutral and a BMW 530i totally wrecked clutch and transmission after my ex-wife tried to teach a teenager to drive. I put a 37 Buick that had been converted to Ford rear bearing retainer into a 1948 Ford keeping the torque tube with a supposed NC machined adapter after my friend ran out of donor Ford transmissions and a drag strip failure and then almost immediate break of the replacement with the engine totally ready to drive off dragons. (It leaked out of the front until the sintered iron clutch disk slipped on the road.) Do Buicks turn opposite to Fords so that it's helical gears pumped oil out?

Last edited by badassfrombadaxe; 07-15-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I was misoriented momentarily.
badassfrombadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote