View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
V8 Bob

Default Re: 51 Merc v/8 into 40 ford

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
[QUOTE=dixiedelux;1076912]I have made an agreement to buy a 51 Merc engine and will install it in my 40 Ford Tudor with a 39 toploader. I would appreciate input from any one familiar with this swap. I have researched and have came up with the following:
1 I will need the truck series 8rt water pumps

You want to use the '48-'52 truck pumps, not '53.
You'll also need a '48-'53 truck/'49 Ford/Merc wide belt crank and generator pulley.

2 I will need a rear sump truck oil pan. I need clarification on this one because I regard all of the oil pans as rear sump.

The '48-'52 truck pans have rear sumps with large clean-out plates. The '53 truck pan is a stepped rear sump. The other rear sump pan is the '49-'51 Mercury. The '49-'51 Fords and '52-'53 Fords/Mercurys have center sump pans.

3 The seller claims to have fabbed a wide belt crank pulley that will accept a 40 crank mounted fan. Is this a good idea. What are other options?

I think cooling will be better with a higher mounted fan, just not sure about fit/clearance issues. I would try to use a late truck/'49 Ford/Merc wide belt fan.

4 How about radiator hoses? Are the 8ba head hose recipicals the same size as the radiator's?

The 8BA hoses are 1 1/4" while the earlier hoses are larger (I think 1 1/2" ?)

5. I have been told that if I get a 48-52 truck flywheel it will not have to be drilled to accept a 48-52 clutch and pressure plate. Can someone clarify for me the need to drill an 8ba passenger car flywheel to accept the truck clutch and why only a truck clutch and pressure plate will adapt to a early transmission?

You can use any Late Ford/Merc car or truck flywheel. Fords used several Long style sizes (9 1/2"/10"/11") while Mercurys used 10" Borg & Becks that use the same bolt pattern as some modern diaphragm (my choice) clutch plates. The disc has to have an 1 3/8" X 10 spline to match your '39 tranny. Any good clutch re builder can put together a clutch setup.

6. I have noticed from Van Pelt drawings, that the 51 Merc bell housing set up is a little differnce from the rest. Will there be any problem there?

You'll need a '49-'50 Mercury stamped/'48-'52 truck cast 1/2 bell to mate the late flathead to your 39 transmission. The regular production '51 Mercury bell housing is full size designed to be used with the late 4 bolt B/W transmissions that came out in '49 Fords/'51 Mercurys.

7. Will there be an issue with starter clearance?

No problem.

8 Can I use stock ford exhaust manifolds?

Yes, but steel aftermarket headers might be a better option.

QUOTE]
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote