View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 12:12 AM   #15
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Air/Fuel Meter/gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
When Richar Kunc was doing all his research on the ignition system. He picked me up at the airport in his 53 Ford HT with the 276, L-100 engine. The af meter was right in front of me. On the 60 mile trip back to his house, the meter was in the lo to mid 15's and hi 12's on accelerating. 22 mpg. That's what you can do with the right "Stuff"
Those are good readings. You will hear people always quote 14.7:1 as being the preferred ratio. That is the exact ratio to make the catalytic converter work correctly and still let the engine run decent. Without a catalytic converter we can do better than that. 12:1 is perfect performance air fuel ratio and 15:1 is perfect for maximum fuel mileage. We had Dodge vehicles with carbs at work that ran 16:1, that was a little too lean. They always felt like they were right on the verge of a lean misfire. Your friends '53 Ford'd flathead is dialed in, you can't get any better than that. The air fuel gauge is such a neat tool. I will never build another car without one.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote