View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
fadams69

Smile Need help on 1929 CCPU..body blocks and shimming

Howdy folks...I'm new to Model A and restoration so I'm a blank page.My problem is the order at which body blocks and shims are to be installed.It appears to me that on most posts I've read that the block is installed with shim nailed to it.I can see where on my 1929 CCPU this could make sense on the two rearmost body blocks(bolt location 4 then location 6) but makes little sense to me on the set of blocks under the cowl which seem to be made to go up into the subframe channel.Do all body blocks minus the shims rest on the splash apron with welting then frame below them?On a close look at my truck it seems to me that all shims would be placed between each respective body block location and the splash apron.Is this correct or am I missing something?I have new blocks coming due to be delivered in a couple of days since mine are either missing or makeshift scraps of wood with the exception of one at bolt location #4 on drivers side.Am trying to get some answers as to how this all lays out before new blocks arrive so I can be somewhat informed as to how to start on this part of the project.Also..should I concentrate on proper hood alignment and fit first then work backward toward aligning doors and cab rear and let the frontmost part of alignment be the baseline for aligning the rearmost section of the cab?I thank any of you folks in advance for any answers or suggestions about this issue.Hopefully I get the forward section righgt then match rear section to it because this truck has severe subrail damage on drivers side for a distance of app 8 inches at rear of subrail.I think I can repair that but need to get front and passenger side alignment right first then hopefully correct rearmost subrail damage corrected with everthing else in good shape.Sorry for the lengthy post but need to be as clear on my issues as I can be.Hopefully my questions will be good so answers can be also!
fadams69 is offline   Reply With Quote