View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #45
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Early V8 Dyno Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I don't want this to stop on a sour note. I trust Pete and his past accomplishments account for the power he makes from a Flathead. The fact that I and a few others haven't , is not his problem. My problem is: I can't get enough air into the block to do it. Take a few early engines for example. Back in the mid 60's we had the Ford 260 and 289. A stock HP260 made 240 hp and the 289 made 270. Gm's 283 made 275 with a 4 bl and 283 with FI Mos of these engines were running 9:1 Cr or less. How many cubic feet of air does it take to make one HP?? I can't find a definitive answer, so I'll take the lowest of 2 CF. so 200 hp requires 400 cfm. Allot of engines make alot of power on that kind of ail a 44o Chrisler has a 465 CFM carb And we cant het hallf that much air into a flathead with out a blower. Consider Fuel 87 ocy has more BTU of power in it than 110 race gas, and Alcohol has even less.. Now I may have some of these Facts wrong, but not by much. Did you know they make an old 350 chevy block, so you can bolt on the LS heads. Interesting. Remember it the journey not the destination.
Not flathead related, but to your point of LS motors. My friend has a 6.2L from a junk yard that runs on E85. It has a cam change and some other cheap improvements, BUT it's got a massive turbo. I forget the boost number, but it's close to 20 lbs.

That motor makes 750 hp at the rear wheels tuning it from a laptop. Driving it (it's in a Mustang), it spun the rear wheels when planked at 70 mph.

The reason I mention it is the CFM and air aspect of making power.

The turbo adds another 250-300 HP to the overall numbers.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote