View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Mart

Default Re: Bad actor among us !

I remember wanting to buy the little trim part (called a hockey stick) that goes on the side of a Morris Minor grille. I asked for the right hand hockey stick, pointing to the right hand side of a front end that was on the wall. The counterman told me I wanted a left hand hockey stick. He was right.

I have only heard the term driver's side and passenger's side used by Americans. It sort of makes the assumption that all cars follow the American left hand drive pattern.

It would be very easy for someone not familiar with the quirks of early Fords to assume the lock mechanism with the lock belongs on the driver's side.

So I can understand where the misunderstanding has come from, but it is a little lesson to us all to be very careful to use terms that are unambiguous. Also, I guess, to make sure we communicate clearly when buying something to make sure any potential ambiguity has been ironed out.

Left is left, right is right, from the perspective of the driver, no matter which side he or she is sitting on.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote