View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Tom Endy

Default Poor quality transmission roller bearings

Some while back it was reported on this forum that some really poor quality transmission roller bearing have descended on the Model A hobby. It was not clear what supplier or suppliers were offering them, but they would fail after 300-400 miles. I later learned one of the better suppliers were offering them.

A well known supplier of synchronous transmissions also fell victim to these poor quality bearings.

Since I rebuild transmissions I became concerned and called Walt Bratton, where I buy my transmission parts. Walt assured me that the bearings he is offering are the same as before.

Just recently I placed an order for transmission parts with Bretton's; I was told they were out of stock of both size roller bearings. Their supplier had sent them the poor quality bearings and Bratton's would not put them in stock and returned them.

The attached photo is of a proper quality roller bearing. Note that each roller element has a small axle on the end that protrudes through a hole in the end cap. The poor quality bearings have end caps that have dimples stamped in them. Each roller element is rounded on the end and fits into the dimples. It takes about 300-400 miles for the end of the roller to wear through the end cap, then the bearing comes apart.

My problem now is I need transmission roller bearings and they appear to be not available. Does anyone have knowledge of a supplier that is still offering the quality roller bearings?

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0441.jpg (38.3 KB, 342 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote