View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #19
aermotor

Default Re: Front cross member fracture help

I riveted mine in alone using 3/4" nut connectors and needed length 3/4" bolts to back up the horizontal channel rail rivets with the heads on the inside. The horizontal rivets in the vertical channel I backed up with steel blocks and clamps. I heated the tails until they were red hot with torch in one hand and small ball peen hammer in other and went to work - tails should be 1 1/2 diameter before bucking and 1/2 diameter after. The top 4 rivets only need about 1 diameter lenght to fill the counter sunk hole - file off any excess height. Takes quite a bid of trial and error to get each rivet set solid with the connectors and blocks. I did several samples with this method then cut vertically through the rivet and they were all firmly solid in the hole with no gaps. Correct rivet oreintation probably can't be obtained for points. It is a must that the heads are very solid against the member before heating and bucking. I am much more comfortable with this method than trying to put a round bolt in a "unround" hole. The round head rivets had a flat spot about the diameter of a BB

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote