View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
F.M.
BANNED

Default Re: Is this bearing reusable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
A friend of mine (and fellow barner) won't use the original rear wheel bearings repro or original. He substitutes new, modern bearings and has had no trouble in his P/U which is used as intended - a workhorse carrying loads all over town.
IMO, there is too much emphasis on "keep it original" amongst Model Aers. There have been MANY advances made over the past 90+ years and unless you are restoring a car for judging, I think it foolish to ignor that. If you intend driving the wheels off your car as I do, modern is often better and more easily found these days if you need them.
For expample, I was in an outback town a couple of years ago when the coil decided this is where it wanted to be buried. I was surprised that there was a spare parts shop in such a small town. They had a 12v coil on the shelf. How long would I have had to wait for a 6 volt one? I spend a little time and convert my water pumps to a ceramic seal and sealed bearings. Never had to repair one but wore out a few of the original style ones before I decided to give up on the original design.
Not to long a wait if one was under your seat !!..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote