Thread: Brake Pills
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Brake Pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
So my actuating pins are the correct length. Just purchased same and cross checked with the Red Book. The actuating arms on the fronts will lean forward 15 degrees with the rods unhooked. when the brakes are together and I'm ready to install the rods I find that it will take two "Pills" to maintain the 15 degrees on the right side. The left will still come back to about 10 degrees and I'm sure that a third "Pill" will match up the two sides. I suspect the cup in the bottom of the wedges are worn and the left more so than the right. I have heard two pills is the limit, but am thinking of welding three with JB or Lock-Tite to make the fronts start pulling from the 15 degree forward point. Any thoughts on that? I hate to take the brakes off just to put in new wedges, but then if that;s what it takes I could do that.Rather than weld three together could one use one in the upper end of the pin and two in the bottom? (I'm beginning to wish I had sprung for the hydraulics. About $4K)
Let me ask a few questions;
You said the actuating pins are the same length. Specifically 'what' length? Are they the same length as each other, the same length as what you removed, -or the same length as factory specification?

Are the wedges original -or are they worn originals? If not only are they worn in the cups, how do you know the ramp angle is not worn causing the rollers to bind?

If you must use one 'pill', then something is worn. If you must use two 'pills' together, something(s) is/are VERY badly worn. Three...!! The bottom line in your scenario is just like I have said over & over in that original Model-A brakes are not easy (-nor cheap) to restore correctly, ...but done correctly and thoroughly, they do vey well. Hydraulic brakes are not without their share of problems too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote