View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
DavidG

Default Re: Installing a 32' Roadster Body

The fuel/air line as Michael mentions and the tail lamp wiring as Bored&Stroked mentioned plus the exhaust system. Installing the gas tank on a '32-'34 passenger car chassis before the body is not advisable in my opinion, as it gets in the way of a normal post-production body drop and it is easy to install once the body is in place. (It is a must after the '34s.)

This assumes that you will be installing the body after at least the rear axle and torque tube are installed and that your brake system is in place on the chassis, including the pedals. While I normally install the engine and transmission after the body is in place, that's a function of my process and I recommend that you consider installing the engine and transmission before the body as the installation will be easier and you can easily install the engine compartment wiring once the firewall is in place. In any event, install your steering gear box and column shaft before installing the engine as there is very little clearance to install it after the engine is installed.

My experience with numerous '32 phaeton and roadster bodies is that it is far better to install the firewall on the frame before the body is installed, including the instrument panel (without the choke and throttle controls and the dash light switch knob installed) and also to install the dash to the body cowl before mating the two. It can be a real challenge to install the dash after the body is installed given the close proximity of the instrument panel and the tuck under of the cowl sheet metal.

Also install your cowl vent before installing the body as it is hard to reach once the body and instrument panel are in place.

That pretty well covers it.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote