View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Pete

Default Re: Adjustable plungers / valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I recently replaced the cam in one of my engines with one with similar timing to the IB330 but with a lift of 0.290". The company that did the regrind (not a new cam - regrind the original) asked what valves I was using. He gave me two sets of figures. One was what you have posted but he said it they were the new stainless type, use 0.025" on the exhaust. I thought that was a bit much so I settled on 0.022". After about 200 miles, I dropped the sump to inspect and found that the cam follower was rubbing the heel of the cam slightly. 0.022" was not enough. I reset them to his recommendation and all is good. He cited another client who had similar experience with his Model T.
I'm surprised that the neither the vendors nor the manufacturers bother to mention this when they supply the valve kits. That's very poor, IMO and will tarnish their reputation if people set the clearances at factory specs and end up having trouble
If I understand it right, you set at .022 and the lifter was rubbing the heel.
How can this happen? If the lifter is rubbing the heel, how do you get a .022 feeler gauge in????
You have one of two things happening.
1- The cam heels are not concentric.
2- You are not setting them on the heel.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote