View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Question Re: FE autolite distributor dwell questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by s55mercury66 View Post

I recently got into the centrifugal advance in my FE distributor. While reassembling it, I took a good look at how the breaker plate moves in a different arc than the distributor cam does. It actually plays hell with the dwell. With the points set at .017, I put my meter on it and got 45° at idle, and around 30° with some vacuum at 2000 rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s55mercury66 View Post

After looking, all my points, and both of my breakers will only allow the points to move around the pin. One thing that occurred to me is the vacuum advance lever, at rest, has the breaker plate pulled over where it is centered around the cam. If I can figure a way to lenghten the lever, it would tighten up the points spread (insert chuckle here). With the points set at .017, applying the vacuum advance opens it up to .024. That is quite a variation, but this distributor I am looking at is not the one on the car either. Limiting the vacuum advance would help, but might hurt mileage also. I will take a good look at the one Im running tomorrow, and see if I can dig up some more advance canisters.
You are absolutely certain the distributor shaft bushing(s) and the breaker plate bushing (1960/ ) is good? All of this noticed movement does not sound correct.

The dwell angle should not change over increased RPM more than 3 degrees. The OEM distributor is not a precision piece as are some aftermarket/speed models and/or electronic models.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote