View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
pooch

Default Re: 17 year old VS 1928 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodkid View Post
I was given a roadster body for free by a friend. I'm going to build a clean, traditional hot rod. It's an old drafster body that ran in the Bay Area back in the 60's. I can't figure out how to post photos here but I'm also on the HAMB! Thread is titled the same. I need everything Except the cowl and quarter panels. If you have any extra parts you arn't gonna use like a frame and doors and axles and tires and everything.... I'll take em. Thanks!
If you had cowl and quarters given free, they are probably rough or you have a very good friend .

And I guess you don't have the spare money for brookville stuff at 17.

Door skins can be made easily and properly if you have the know how and have the right equipment .

But, also if not after absolute exactness, you can make your own panels out of existing auto sheetmetal.

When I was young, there was an old dude who used to scour wrecking yards for cars with certain compound curves that he could cut out and make his panels out of .

Back in those days, when parts were available, we used to dismiss his antics, but now , I myself sometimes use the same route.

Looking back now, that old dude was up and running and enjoying driving his 'makeshift' cars while we were still hunting for parts .

Back then we had the attitude of his veteran model T may have been part morris minor or his vulcan truck was part ford falcon, but these days, we are no better when most of the cars are usually part chinese steel, as in repo parts .

Where does brookville steel originate from ?

Do they use USA made steel....dunno ?

If you need a shallow compound curve like the outer door skin, look at the roof of any suitable donor car .

You may even get a roadster rumble lid shape out of an old lid off another car .

Just look for the curves .

Some may scoff here, but this is no worse than making your own patch panels or entire doors. lids etc out of a store bought sheet of new steel.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote