View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #35
Smooth_One

Default Re: Electronic ignition advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Here are a few thoughts of electronic ignition systems. Yes, they are great in modern cars that were designed for it from the ground up. If they do fail, you will find five parts stores in a 20 mile range that will have the parts on the shelf. No so much with any conversion kit.

I have two 1978 motorcycles. On one I did an "upgrade" to electronic ignition about ten years ago. It was trouble-free and maintenance free for about eight years. It ran beautifully...until it didn't. When it failed I barely limped home the 45 miles on two cylinders on a major highway. It was terrifying. My testing with a multi-meter was inconclusive. It took two weeks of back and forth mail to get the module tested, confirmed bad, and replaced. The replacement module was nearly $200.00 and the module failure damaged the coil...another $100.00.

My second bike I left with points. I took the time to really teach myself to maintain, adjust, and understand them (the Model A was a huge help in this regard). I keep a spare distributor plate in my storage compartment. It has new points and condensers, has been run-in tested, and I marked it so I know exactly where to set it so the timing is right. This spare set-up takes up about as much space as ham sandwich and cost less than $50.00. When I did have a breakdown, I had it swapped out and was back on the road in 15 minutes.

The Model A's original system is so easy and inexpensive to maintain, I would never consider changing it. Also, I prefer the original set up to the so-called 'modern points." The original points are easier to adjust, and I can do it without feeler gauges by simply counting the turns.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I do appreciate the info!