View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: How common a practice is this?.

I've never used an 8 volt battery in any of my model A's . My dads old jeep had an 8 volt battery and I never had a problem with it . When it was time to replace the old 8 volt battery , I replaced it with a 6 volt battery without any modification and it still worked good . I much prefer converting to twelve volts .I use the original color coded wiring harnesses from the vendors without modification . The original style wiring is LARGER gauge than the wiring commonly used on twelve volt systems . The larger gauge wiring used in the model A will carry 12 volts with no problem if in good condition .The modification that I make is to use a three OHM coil . The original style one point five Ohm coil can be used on 12 volts if a resistor is used at the coil connections but the distributor will still be operating on 6 volts . I prefer the distributor to also operate on 12 volts as well as the starter and lights . As long as the system remains positive ground , no wiring changes will be needed . It will be necessary to replace the battery and bulbs with 12 volt bulbs and battery . This is a very simple conversion . If negative ground is used , it will be necessary to swap the cables on the battery and the wire connections at the coil . The original unmodified generator will work well on 12 volts and the amperage output can be increased by pushing downward on the adjustable generator brush . The generator charges the battery in amps . The battery that is used will control the voltage of the vehicle that it is used on . Unless the more powerful 60 watt headlamp bulbs are used , the so called six volt generator will charge the battery just fine . The original unmodified starter will work well on 12 volts . The original starter is very robust . I've seen original model A starters used to operate as home made wrecker wenches on twelve volts . .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 07-24-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote