View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Default Re: 1938-39 Tonner Survey

In about 1992 I obtained a 38 tonner express but the running boards had been cut off and a poorly built wood box installed. I traded a cabinet for it. It had been the airport crash truck for the small airport at Friday Harbor on a neighboring island, but had gone through a few owners since that. Mine was also a dealer display with the same paint scheme, chrome trim and options. Sadly, the grille was butchered for a crankshaft driven water pump and the truck was in generally poor shape. The airport manager told me it was given to the port of Friday Harbor by Ernie Ganzler, who was a relative of Henry Ford, perhaps a nephew. He was a well known character at 'The Harbor'. Not sure how he came across it. I later narrowed a box with fenders from a wrecked '47 tonner express and generally rebuilt the '38 for daily driving, retaining the mechanical brakes, which worked quite well. The 4:11 rear was quite modern with those 34" 7.50 x 17s.
I know this does not follow the format you requested. Is there a way to use the form to fill out, or should I just list it in the order that you did? The truck was sold here on Orcas Island in the early 2000s and later shipped to a new owner in Upstate NY, where I hope it lives happily. It has a balanced 59ab with a merc crank , Jere Jobe carb and distributer, 12 volts and a lower grille section made from 1/2" copper pipe, split in a bandsaw and and formed over my knee and joined to a wooden center piece, all painted hammerite silver. Not concourse. ... Revenski, yours is an amazing restoration and I never get tired of looking at the beautiful photos you have shared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 as found.jpg (60.5 KB, 25 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote