View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: How many different truck doors are there???

Um. CC pickup or RPU? 1928-29 or 30-31.

Generally AA trucks used the corresponding A truck doors in their model year. They should swap "envelope" to "envelope." (If they appear the same they probably are.)

One exception may be found in trucks made from Oct. 1929 through May 1930. This was the period of the upgraded AA truck (i.e. Borg-Warner 4 speed transmission and BW Rear Axle) Until Henry got the car line established in model year conformance ("The New Ford"), he "recycled" earlier 1929 truck bodies onto the new & improved Borg Warner truck components.

There was a short period of months (Oct '29 to May '30) where the small pickup line followed the car bodies (New Ford) and the AA Truck followed the square bodies of earlier production.

Or maybe this should be said the other way. He upgraded the earlier 1929 AA trucks by bringing the chassis/drivetrain forward into New Ford Truck Borg Warner configuration.

In general the earlier 1928-29 "square" cab "recycled" the doors from the 1926-27 Model T Coupe and Tudor. The doors are the same - but the hinges and the "tumble home" (nautical term implying transition curve) between the truck body and the Model T bodies are not.

You can use 1926-27 doors on the 1928-29 cab (until May 1930 AAs that is) if you can exchange the hinges to the later Model A style.

I say that. I have original 1929 hinges on my 29 CC truck. As an experiment I bought a full set of Model T hinges from one of the respondents to this board. On examination of the hinges, I find them IDENTICAL to the Model A hinges. The Model T hinges are even stamped "Stanley Works" or similar - Stanley then as now a producer of stamped hinge products and apparently a subcontractor to Ford for the Model T hinges.

So my earlier statement of "tumble home" (curve of the body, placement of the doors or possibly even placement of the hinges relative to the curve) may be the only difference.

I hope this helps. I can give you dimensions of the 1928-29 doors. 47" sounds like 28-29.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-18-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)