View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #63
P.S.

Default Re: Can I sit in your car?

Yes, this is an old thread..... However, something happened today that got me thinking about this old thread again, so I searched for it and found it. Then, re-read through it and still came up puzzled. So, asking you guys for your input.

Wife and I drove the 31 tudor (near fine-point quality, yet reliable daily driver, a solid #2 car) to the 4th of July festivities in a historic foothill town about 20 miles from home. Spent a lot of time last night waxing and detailing the car for its display with flags today. We showed up early, and parked in a primo spot right next to the outdoor seating area of the restaurant at the end of the parade route. Car was protected on side and rear, front facing the street which was blocked off for the festivities. With the restaurant staff watching over it, we walked to the firehouse fundraiser pancake breakfast at 0730 and walked around checking out the antiques and old time shops until the parade started at 1100 hrs. Decided not to be in the parade, but just watch instead. The car was in the best spot anyway, and didn't want to lose that spot to a hotrod or something. After the parade, we put our folding chairs back in the car and decided to sit in the crowded restaurant's outdoor seating area and enjoy a cold drink before heading home in the 98 degree heat. I noticed a LOT of hand prints all over the car, and several greasy body contact spots all around it (fenders and bumpers). Very perplexing. I almost thought we were being pranked with non-destructive 'vandalism'.

Once seated, and from our vantage point about 5 tables away from the fence and the car, we witnessed several people taking "selfies" with the Model A. Most of the people placed hands on the car for their selfies. None of the hand prints appears to be from youth, all appear adult size.

Is it just me? Or, is the "selfie generation" just absolutely out of control? It took almost 2 hours of waxing and polishing (and a little rubbing compound on some spots) tonight to remove all the hand prints and micro-scratches from the tudor. Our Model A has apparently appeared in more selfies than Kim Kardashian today. Why must everyone lay hands on the car to selfie with it? Am I just becoming an old grouch now?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote