View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #49
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Results of milling iron heads.

WOW!! I have a similar problem right now, serves me right for not checking both heads. The .123 still bothers me, but .070-.090 is quite common. Milling the heads to increas the CR is a poor choice, because you'll probably have to have the heads re domed. I thinl ALL heads should be milled to give at least /050" piston to head clearance just to increase combustion chamber turbulence. This will improve throttle response and economy. Especially if you have to remove that much material, it will increase the CR some what. As for Egge pistons, you're right. If you don't like them for some reason then use what ever you do like. I've been using them for over 20 years and have had only a few problems which I solved one way or anothe. I consider my self an engine builder not a person that just puts everyting together and ezpects it to work. Every engine has it's own problems and application and you may have to think about what you rae doing. Ross pistons are one of the best Racing pistons on the market, but after 50 or60K miles in a street engine are pushing oil. Due to their design they must be fit Lose in the cyl. I run .005 at least because flatheads run hot and you don't want to gall a piston. I run .002" on an Eggy and the new Metric rings do the rest. IMHOP
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote