View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: T-5 5 speed trans VS Mitchell overdrive

Ok,sounds good. Where are you at with the woody?.Piriano gained air flow by running bigger valves,I run a 'C' grind (late B)cam with .319 measured lift is about .040 actual lift increase over the stock A cam with stock valves and sleeved to stock cylinders.Then I basically built around it with maximum air flow in mind. 6 to 1 winfield re pop aluminum head,you can go up to 7 to 1,anything past that and you start losing air flow..the rest? model a engine airflow rate is around 160 CFM,a single stromberg 97 or Holley 94 match it almost dead on @170 CFM,dual carbs are sexy but you have overfuel issues to contend with, 340 CFM rate from two carbs doesnt stuff through 160 CFM engine very well.
Fuel and compression are your biggest bang for the buck,I used a Red's 4 into 2 header and a flow master extractor for exhaust,once again its air flow,what goes in must come out. Model B distributor and bosch blue coil,run 12 v system. Bronze timing gear and fixed cam plunger for reliability.

Horsepower? who knows,but the result is amazing over a stock engine. Greater efficiency through matched air flow and compression increase means it runs cooler with better fuel economy than a stock engine.Dont get me wrong,I like a stock model a,and will build one..but here in suburban CA you basically cant drive one without the safety of a convoy,the fools will eat you alive if you run solo.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote