View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #90
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

Man you sure have good eyes! What picture do you see a Jag head in? The reason for the Jag motor is a long one. One of the reasons that I have not been around much Model A 'stuff' lately is that I have gotten a little burned out with the Model A restoration routine and wanted to try something different, particularly aluminum body fabrication. As a result, I met a gentleman in Tennessee that is restoring a 1935 Type 57 Bugatti Stelvio. (Apparently it is quite rare, because one night while we were working on it the owner called to say that he had just turned down 1.2 million dollars for it and it is still not finished being restored). This Bugatti is made up entirely of aluminum and the panels are all gas welded together, totally different from the Model A, obviously. One thing led to another and when the owner gave the restorer permission to 3D scan the car so that an entire new body could be made, I got heavily involved with the scanning and the 3D development work. The body has been scanned and I have already made the wooden 'egg crate' bucks for the rear fenders, the grille, steering when and other panels, and I am finishing the front fenders at this time.

Once the body had been scanned, the chassis needed to be developed, and I am doing that in SolidWorks. It has been decided to use a Jaguar 3.8/4.2 motor to power the new car, and I needed a 3D scan of the motor to mate with the new chassis and the scanned body, so I acquired an old motor and restored it to the configuration that we will be using, and made a 3D drawing of it in SolidWorks.

The pictures are roughly in the sequence that work is being done. The car that is being restored, the scanning of the car, building of the bucks, SolidWorks layouts, etc. Sorry, kind of a long winded answer.

Bug1.jpg

Bug2.jpg

Bug3.jpg

Bug4.jpg

Bug5.jpg

Bug6.jpg

Bug7.jpg

Bug8.jpg

Bug9.jpg

Bug10.jpg

Bug11.jpg