View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Which Model A for a coast to coast trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I like the idea of using my coupe and increasing the storage in some fashion and the single wheel trailer. For those with a Sport Coupe, is the fabric fairly resilient in rainy weather? The thought of getting all that nice cloth soaking wet kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies.

As opposed to? Within reason, these cars kept their occupants dry back when new however even a Coupe/Tudor/Fordor is going to have fabric underneath its top material (rubberized leather), so if you get into a monsoon storm where the water can penetrate around the seams, you are going to get rain inside.

I don't know whose top you have on which may/may-not be the correct material anyway. Maybe spray some Scotchguard to help seal the inner liner fabric.

BTW, I believe Coker sells the tires for these single-wheel trailers as I think it was Cushman scooters that used the same size. The way these trailers attach to a Model-A is to remove the rear bumper clamps and fabricate a connector for the trailer that bolts thru the bumper. Then the trailer arms are heated and bent where they can be connected to the connector with a hinge pin.

Personally, I would re-work the trailer frame (-which is 2"x2" thin angle iron typically bolted together) just to be large enough to mount a Model-A era trunk on it, a Yetti cooler (painted the same color as the car), a small cookstove, a few tools along with extra water & gas cans. Something like 4'wide x 3'long. Having the ability to safely carry extra gas & water in the (mid)West probably would be good peace of mind for you. Maybe having an old Coleman cook stove to cook lunch at a roadside park (-boil water to heat prepackaged food) would be a neat experience. As far as lighting goes, I would use repro Model-A tailights with LEDs for your tail/brake/turn lights however I would find some of those small blinking LED caution lights that you see on construction company pick-up trucks mounted in the grille or rear bumper. That way when you are traveling in the more-dangerous areas, you have an alternate safety warning system.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote