Thread: Car won't start
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #14
29closedcabguy

Default Re: Car won't start

All of the above suggestions are good ones, but let me add this. I would go thru all of the electrical system connections and clean them. It looks like the previous owner may of been having problems, the cutout out coverings missing as well as the cover bands on the starter and generator. If the water pump has been leaking and the fan has been spraying water in the engine bay you may have corrosion in several locations. Second I would question why the headlight wire is disconnected, the headlight bucket connections and sockets in the buckets if repo parts are very susceptible to problems ( shorting out ) I would check to see if I had continuity from the wires to the ground before hooking them up. It's very likely the are disconnected due to a dead short. Third your battery cable looks like a smaller guage than is needed for a 6 volt system, it looks like a 12 volt sized cable. 6 volts needs to draw twice as much amperage to create the same working watts as 12 volts. As others have suggested I would add an after market fuse at the the starter to protect the lighting and ignition wiring to avoid an electrical dead short fire. Most likely your starting issue is bad/dirty battery connections.
29closedcabguy is offline   Reply With Quote