View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
goodcar

Default Re: Tranny/diff service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Rodriguez View Post
I was going off of the Les Andrews model A handbook. Apparently his refill capacities are not correct.
My Les's Handbook also shows 1.5 pints for the transmission. That has to be a misprint.

I often refer to Le's handbook, it's a great reference but I think taking everything in the book as the absolute gospel can sometimes get you in trouble. I assume all the specs listed apply to a new car fresh off the assembly line. It doesn't account for wear and tear on a 90 year old car, modifications, upgrade changes and everything else. As a newcomer to the Model A hobby it's easy to think you're doing everything correctly just because that's what the book says. As an example, on page 17 the book says torque axle nuts to 125 ft pounds. The spec sheet in back of the book says 100 ft pounds. So when doing a brake job I'm following the book, 125 ft pounds. After that, the next time I removed and replaced the hub, the threads on the axle are nearly stripped. I could see a problem of wallowing out the wheel mounting holes if torquing the lug nuts to 64 ft lbs (page 17).
There are probably many other examples as well. The book is a good place to start but I would also check with someone who is experienced before getting too carried away.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote