View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
77Birdman

Default Re: broken screws in oak, drill or give up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Masche View Post
This happened to me on a cabinet knob once. A friend of mine, who does woodworking, had a small tool similar to a miniature hole saw, and he said they were made for this very purpose. It cut a small core out of the wood, with the broken screw at the center, and extracted the whole piece. He then had a correct size dowel that he glued into the hole.
After the glue dried, he drilled a pilot hole for the new screw, and the knob covered the plugged area. I don't know what they are called, but it worked like a charm. If there is a store that sells wood working supplies near you, possibly they could help.
Crosscuts idea is along the same line, and may be faster than looking for this odd tool.
This is the right way. The tool is NOT a plug cutter, but specifically for screw extraction. Plug cutters are different and are best used in a drill press. A plug cutter could be used BUT, there are the right tools for the right job. I believe 'woodcraft' has them, order online and you can have it in a day or two. It doesn't really matter what kind of wood you use to plug the hole with, most hardware store dowell rods are maple and that is more than hard enough. You will most likely be drilling the bulk of the material out anyway. Titebond ext glue is the best you can use on any project that will be subject to the elements. If you have a scrap of wood laying around you can make your own plug pretty easy with a utility knife. I know nothing about model A's, but am a 4th generation master carpenter/period furniture maker with 40 years exp. Wood is in my blood! BTW, pop had a slot in his tool box for a bar of soap to lube screws up. Not a bad idea, but with modern technology its not that important anymore. This was back in the day that a slotted screw was installed with a Yankee screwdriver.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote