View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
vulture

Default Re: When do parts become junk ?

I see a number of guys buying a single spindle to make a wheel streighting truing fixture...
I am sorry to say I have thrown out many large items like rearends ,springs, bumpers and beautiful model a engine blocks. The blocks I had were hot tanked mag/fluxed and uncracked. I drug them to a number of swapmeets and couldn't give them away for free. Worn out parts are a different thing good for art projects and mock ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
I have always been amazed at the parts that are offered for sale on eBay that, in my opinion, should have been thrown away.

That having been said, however, it really bothers me to throw away old parts that are worn out, but then I always ask myself, what am I saving it for.

For example, on a recent overhaul of my 28 Tudor, I found a front spindle that had bushing holes so worn, the king pin bushings just fell out. I found good used spindles and threw away the old spindles.

Likewise on a rebuild of a 7-tooth steering column, a sector gear was worn out and gauled.

What should we, as Model A enthusiasts, be doing with these parts? Anyone else pitching them ? I can't see myself trying to sell worn-out parts on eBay.