Thread: Old cars
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #21
markdtn

Default Re: Old cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
There is some truth in what the guy said, we just don't want to hear it from the likes of him. Anyone who isn't familiar with the mechanics of his vintage car is blind foolish to set out on a trip alone. Besides camaraderie, another reason lots of guys travel in caravan, is to avail themselves of each other's assistance when one of them inevitably breaks down. Back in the day, however, city and country folk alike had more mechanical ability than the average boy toy owner has today, and that assessment includes those with garbage truck engines. Anyone disputing that, please recall those enthusiasts in your acquaintance who keep a set of Taiwan Metric wrenches in their trunks, "just in case".

I can see this one a few different ways. I agree that really original cars should not be cut up and should be left alone. BUT. Sometimes being hot rodded means the car is being used and driven instead of rusting away. I don't have anything LS powered that didn't come factory that way but I have done fuel injected swaps in a number of cars-but kept it in the same engine family. It is amazing the improvement in drivability and mileage from a fuel injected swap. Almost all of it could be undone with very little trace. I have never been stranded in one of those cars. To me it makes them more fun to drive. Car guys go from purist to custom and mod everything. I think I have ruffled a few feathers at tractor shows with my 2N with a flathead that is very period correct. I try not to get too upset at people even if what they do makes no sense to me-I can at least appreciate the effort.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote