View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #159
G.M.

Default Re: Engine seized 2 miles after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Now Lou. Doncha know a lotta us old geezers have forgotten about the age-old suggestion of simply changing oil every few thousand miles might actually be enough to keep an old flathead from havin' a stroke or seizure? So due to our fading memory we're more or less forced to get anal about dressing up and sometimes plugging up our beloved flatties with fancy plumbing and chrome-plated filters. Geez, I thought all old geezers knew that! 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack I have been wondering the same thing if all this foolishness is worth it. I have a bunch of old Fords, some with no filters and some with the old original Ford filters and never had bearing problems. I used good oil and change it once in a while. My 39 convertible with a new Dennis carpenter WW2 engine I installed 32 years ago with the Ford bypass filter that I opened the restrictor hole some has 120,000 miles on it and doesn't burn any noticeable oil, is quiet and runs smooth. Has thousands of 65 MPH 10 or 12 hour driving days and is clean inside. I find that when the engine ran up in the 200 degree range for a number of years the oil got black in a few days and used some oil. After getting the engine cooled with Skips pumps and a pressure cap it ran in the 165 range and stopped using oil. The oil also stays a slightly dark yellow. Still has over 15 lbs pressure at idle and 45 plus at driving speeds. Sounds like these modern filters on an old engine may cause more problems than the good they can do. I also wonder if oil starvation at start ups could be a problem. I know the benefit of filtration but on these engines is it worth it. G.M.