Thread: Auto Trans
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
hardtimes

Default Re: Auto Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright View Post
No torque tube. The drive line is open. I am using the stock rear end with an open drive conversion from Hot Rod Works.

Biggest concerns

1. You have to deal with the open drive line as far as securing the rear end from twisting force on take off and breaking. I used ladder bars. You can not see them if the fenders are still on.

2. You have to do something with the wishbone. The ball mount is gone. I built a cross member that both served as the wishbone ball mount as well as the rear engine /front trans mount.

3 you have to use a cable with the 904 trans to operate the shift points. This is hooked to your throttle. I use a downdraft carb system and figured out a good way to tie it all together. Lokar makes an aftermarket cable and I found a plate that goes under the carb that you can use for kick down cables I modified it a bit. It works fine.

4. My car has hydraulic brakes , but if yours does not this could be an issue?

I am very happy with the way it all works together. I do have a hopped up rebuilt engine with a Riley 2 port head a downdraft 97 carb and exhaust headers. I don't know if a stock engine would be the same or not?
Thanks again !
Excellent information to start with and ponder.
I have Lincoln hydraulics and a warmed up B engine. I like your choice of engine build.

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-28-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote