View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
Licensed to kill

Default Re: What to do, what to do???.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I wasn't trying to suggest that a filter would not be good for the internal parts of the engine, I was only saying that the Model A engine and many others of the era ran without filters and in the early 50's when I got my first Model A the engine life was expected to be 40,000 miles. An air filter would increase that along with the more dustless driving conditions of today but realistically how many of our A's will see such milage. I like to drive mine as much as possible but I doubt that I will reach 20,000 miles so why worry about the filter that might cause other unwanted problems. The oil today is much better as well. Jack
Point taken. I had considered exactly that, that I'm not likely to put NEAR enough miles on it to matter and that our conditions are much cleaner than back in the day. However, one of my quirks is that I want things to last forever or at last as long as possible even when it really doesn't matter. Example, when my folks built their cedar log retirement home, they were told that it should last about 60 years. I was horrified but my Mom said "what do I care, I'm not going to be here in 60 years". She's right of course but there's just something about putting that much time, effort and money into a house with such a short lifespan just seems wrong. Just one of my illogical idiosyncrasies.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote