View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
JimNNN

Default Re: What are your thoughts on polishing stainless?

I polished the stone guards for my driver quality '54 Ranch Wagon (after putting it off for many years) and I got what I would call pretty good driver quality results. In other words, you'd have to be 6 - 9 inches away before you notice the flaws...and there was a fair bit of pitting on the original surface. I achieved these results by going to youtube and researching the subject. I found an instructional video from a company that sells the polishing equipment for professionals (I have no link, as I did this about a year ago.) I didn't buy the polishing equipment, since these parts are fairly small.

The main gist of the instructional video, though, is that you go in 90 degree different directions every time you move up to a finer grade of abrasive or compound. So, I started with like a 400 (or maybe coarser, I can't remember) wet sandpaper..moving in only one direction.

Then I would go to a finer wet sand paper, moving ONLY in a direction that was 90 degrees different (perpendicular) from the direction of the previous (coarser) abrasive. I would keep with this procedure ONLY until the abrasive marks from the previous (coarser) abrasive had disappeared.

Then I moved to the next finer abrasive, working in it in a perpendicular direction from the previous abrasive. And so on and so on, until I got up to about 2000 grit or more. Remember, every abrasive is worked in only one direction. Then I polished, and it was shiny. When I started the process, I thought, this isn't going to work, but it did. Hopefully you can find that video. Good luck.

Last edited by JimNNN; 05-15-2020 at 03:13 PM.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote