View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #30
Gene F

Default Re: whats the best & worst car to buy in 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Model A Ford hands down.

1960 Popular Mechanics had an article that said the Model A Ford was by far the best car for the money EVER sold in America, and was built with quality components.

1930 only got better with the improvements over '28-'29.... stainless steel body trim components come to mind right off.

This is kinda hard to argue with for the popularity, the design, and the price....

My Grandfather had a 30 Ford Coupe when he was Truant Officer in Gallia County. He said he had to furnish his own car for the job. In his lifetime he always leaned towards Oldsmobile. Said he had 1 Chevrolet, and it used a lot of gas.

My Grandfather also said they were good design, price was good, and if they quit on ya you could get em goin' again. Guess that wasn't the original question, but there is something to that.

I did not know that Chevrolets were succeptable to broken axles. At the 1997 national meet in Dayton, Ohio I saw a young man bring his A into the repair tent with a broken axle. I remember that it took a number of men to get it in there, and up on the jack stands. I can only imagine being away from home, and having a major breakdown like that. Plenty of good help was at hand though... God bless all the guys that helped fix it!

in 1930... well as for now (present day) there certainly are more parts for As than anything. Try fining a part for a REO, or a "big Buick", price aside.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote