View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
Ranchero50

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Been making some decent progress on the frame and driveline. Thanks to a fellow model A'er from Rockville I am back on track with a good 3.54 geared rear and a couple spare wheels that are in better shape than mine.

This afternoon I spent some time wire wheeling the frame after getting some semi gloss black Rustoleum at Lowes. After a half hour of cleaning I finally realized the futility of it all. I needed to just ditch the idea of returning it to black as I was never going to get all of the yellow off. I figured every stone chip would uncover some yellow. Plus dang it since this is a racer why not go with yellow on the frame? If it gets chipped and shows some black it'll look more 'authentic'. Not my first choice but sometime you just have to go with the flow.

Finally spent some time this evening once the sun set with the trans in my parts washer cleaning decades of goop off. Looking over it I think the engine was worked on, the rear was worked on but the trans wasn't. Or I have an orphaned tranny. Who knows...

Tomorrow's goal is to get the trans cleaned up the rest of the way and maybe get the engine on the stand so I can pull the pan and check out it's guts. Might even push the frame up under my big pine tree and paint it with a brush.

More to come.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote