View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: '32 B Raidator Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by done4 View Post
The one on evilbay has the water filler cap in the wrong location if you are going to use your original grill. I see you are located in Minnesota, unless your weather is better then ours here in Michigan I would think you have time to take it to a local radiator shop and have it checked out and repaired. I did mine last winter and I think I paid $125.00 for the whole deal with no problems. You may want to contact Dick Spadaro, www.dickspadaro.com. I have had good luck with him over the years.
The location of the radiator filler neck shouldn't be much of a problem. I assume the original neck has been omitted from this radiator to enable a person to run a filled shell. If a dummy neck is there you can use your original cap. If there is no dummy neck attach the cap to the shell by removing the piece inside of the cap and replacing it with a strap that will hold the cap to the shell. The radiator support rods will be the wrong length but you should be able to make some temporary ones from threaded stock. Put the shell on and no one will know the difference without looking under the hood. Be sure not to run a pressure cap with the B water pump or it will leak. I agree with he suggestion about having yours repaired. It seems like a lot of money to throw at a temporary fix.

You might consider running a '30-'31 radiator in a pinch if you have one. I think it would work but never done it. The neck is in the wrong location so you would need to run a '30-'31 radiator shell (yuk). The rear hinge support will not work since the Model A used a rod and the '32 used a formed stainless hinge. The hood clamps should be enough to hold the hood down of course you will need to be careful opening it.

What do you plan to do in a few months? The answer may be part of today's solution. I hope you are not planning to change the engine.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote