View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #57
GB SISSON

Default Re: '40 front fenders

And I got my 214.00 Champion rad installed and temporarily plumbed. The Radiator support has a flange to bolt the rad to and in stock form it tilts the rad back about an inch at the top. My engine sits almost level and I needed some more clearance so I cut the vertical flanges away from the support, leaving 1/2" at the bottom still attached. I then bent the flanges forward so the radiator would sit plumb, or parallel to the support and rewelded them. This necessitated moving the spreader bar ahead 1/2" . I was very careful with extra support at that point because of the heavy wide fenders hung on the support. I know I will have to alter the upper radiator shroud/hood latch holder. And just so you know, this rad support came to me in the stash of 5 jailbar trucks with about 7" missing from the bottom of the 'U'. I filled it in with some scrap channel and angle. All in all I bet the support weighs about 5 lbs more than stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad in 55.JPG (138.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg rad in 55 2.JPG (124.4 KB, 28 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote