Thread: running hot
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #33
Synchro909

Default Re: running hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug01EW7UZGM
Watch this video to understand the Model A cooling system. Lots of voodoo ideas out there that will only make your problem worse. If you are pinging, you are likely pulling your advance down too far. Keep lifting the spark handle a click or two until it doesn't ping. Not likely coolant getting INTO the combustion chamber, if it was that bad you would have steam out the exhaust. Tighten/retorque head often until no movement of head nuts. Let the coolant find its level, just make sure it stays just above the tubes. A restriction in the upper radiator hose (thermostat) will raise the pressure slightly in the engine block, therefore raising your boiling/flash point. Don't grind down the water pump impeller, turbulence in the coolant is a GOOD thing. Good Luck, don't jump to the worst conclusion, troubleshoot and diagnose first.
That's right and by the time you had enough vapour coming out the exhaust to see it, you'd be seeing bubbles in the top tank. A look at plugs will tell you if water is entering the cylinder. A clean plug indicates water.
Agree on not grinding down the impeller.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Model A cross fire between #3 and #4. That can give pinging and cause overheating as well as a drop in power. I know, I've experienced it and it took a while for me to wake up to what the problem was. Your cure may as simple as a new distributor body or as I did on the side of the road when I did wake up, a long enough plug lead on #3 to give a big insulating air gap between the body and lead so the cross fire doesn't happen. That fix got me 800 miles home, then a new body went on. Sweet as a nut since.