View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
sawzall

Default Re: 1938/1939 Ford Woody Hinges Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSCOV View Post
Just my FYI 35-39 front hinges and rear door hinges should be the same, as they share the same roof line and suicide rear doors. Cowls are same configuration except flat or split windshields. The tailgate hardware as well (32-39 are same) . The only differences are in the wood belt lines and slats. And 38-9 had the spare on the front seat back. Being limited production, a lot of parts were carried over from year to year.
When I started on this adventure many years ago, I was told that I "HAD" to have a 1940 ford woodie only window regulator (for my 40 woodie) that I would never find.. as it turns out.. a "very close" substitute is available, and while it did take a "modification" I don't count changing the size of a hole as anything significant. (but I guess that makes them not fit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Ford gave the 40 hinges a new number because they DID change. The beauty of the Ford parts numbering system was that if a part didn't change, it kept its original number and prefix. B- part numbers can be found in vehicles into the 70s and probably later.
On a side note, sadly a Ford parts man recently told me they were going to be going away from that tried and true system.
there are a number of instances were new part numbers disprove this theory.. and there are a number of instances where the same part number results in two different parts.. (I've "learned" both the hard way)

"even within the gospel of the green book"