View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
bikemaniac

Smile Exhaust smell in car during driving

Hi,
I have clocked some 700 mi in my Model A now, however there is an annoying smell coming from the engine or the exhaust and I cannot locate it.

1. The smell sort of annoys my respiratory system and makes my throat dry. However it first starts after about 1h of high speed driving. I just feel that it is not healthy at all.

2. I have a hard time describing the smell. It is not 100% gasoline, nor 100% exhaust. Something in between maybe.

3. When the car has just been started, there is no smell.

4. After 1h or so as highway speed such as 50 mph, it is particularly noticeable when I reach a red light and the engine idles. I sort of also feel the smell is there when the engine really has to work. Babying it at 30 mph does not seem to give any smells.

5. I drive with my windows open because it is hot outside.

6. I have just replaced the exhaust manifold and used high temp sealant everywhere to really seal the exhaust off everywhere.

7. I know from modern cars, if you drive with your trunk open and have the front windows open, you will get exhaust automatically into the car by some vacuum mechanism. Might that be my problem? Because the exhaust ends at the rear axle which is basically below the rear seat and thus exhaust gasses can be drawn inside due to a vacuum?

If I cannot solve this smell issue there is definitely not going to be any USA road trip for me :-).

I was told to put a filter into the oil filler tube to avoid the oil aerosols hitting the engine and heating up = maybe causing the smell. I tried it, but is does not seem to solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote