View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Who's running a Marvel/Schebler carb?

FWIW:

Have one (1) original that came with my 1930 Coupe in 1958.

Former mechanic owner never cleaned it or dismantled it; and neither did I ..... it never saw ethanol gas ...... still have it, as mentioned often, for a spare.

One can make fast turns or stop on a dime, and because of the bowl configuration, the engine never dies because of flooding or fuel starvation with sudden stops.

In stop and go traffic, over several entire summers, with my brother and I driving to and from work every day for about 18 miles per day, we averaged 28 miles per gallon, (at the then high price of 20 cents per gallon), never exceeding 45 mph while using Amoco, non-leaded white gasoline.

Most delicate carburetors of all makes throughout history became less efficient when un-skilled owners and mechanics tried to clean and service them.

Some Model A owners do not like the looks of having a Marvel installed on their cars.

Some Marvels on ebay and at swap meets have been tampered with until they are not as efficient as originals; however, in their day, Marvel carburetor replacements were a blessing to be able to afford coupled with fuel economy when only the poorest of the poor people drove Model A's in the 1940's and 1950's ...... a middle class worker would not like to be caught dead in a Model A back then ..... now only the rich can afford them. LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-29-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote