View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #87
Old Henry

Default Re: M.Kube,Charlie,NY,52Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planojc View Post
How did we get from a "Disagreement on what's the correct carb for late 38 + all of 39", to microwave oven's and dumb engineers?

It may well be that this is a rhetorical question (not intended to receive a response) but, in case it isn't here it is in a nutshell:

#6 ken ct explains why the original question - that owners of "trailer queens" want completely correct parts for their "boxed toys."

#11 Vic Piano responds to hangups about authenticity with: "I prefer function over questionable or proven originality" and "I don't care what a judge thinks, I'm my own judge and as long as our cars/trucks run well, I'm fine with that. Vic " in #13.

#16 ken ct agrees with "Im the same way Vic,i run a 47-48 glass bowl FP on my 36 completely wrong but thats what i want on it."

#41 I explain why, in addition to judging, I go for authenticity with "I like to use my car as a time machine to take me back to 1947 every time I get in it and it usually works pretty good as long as I keep it totally authentic original and know that it is" and "my favorite 'unwind' each night is to take a cruise in 'Old Henry' and listen to the AM radio station that plays old radio shows from the 30's and 40's for 30-60 minutes" in # 45.

#46 ford38v8 suggests that while listening to the 1947 radio shows on my radio taking me back to 1947 "any minute you might here the news of the attack on Hawaii."

#47 Vic Piano corrects with "wouldn't it be Korea on the radio... remember, he's driving a Post WWII car."

#64 I correct both with "OK guys, let's get the history straight. In 1947 I wouldn't have heard the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor which was 6 years earlier in 1941. Neither would I have heard news about the Korean War which didn't begin until 1950. What I might have heard in 1947 were:

"Chuck" Yeager pushing his Bell X-1 past "Mach 1" to break the sound barrier

Howard Hughes perfoming the maiden (and only) flight of the "Spruce Goose", the largest fixed-wing aircraft ever built

And, of course, the death and funeral of our founder, Henry Ford.

#68 Vic Piano added: "'47 was also the year the microwave oven was introduced."

#69 37 Coupe explained how microwaves were discovered: "it was a chocolate bar that melted in an engineers shirt pocket ."

#82 ford38v8 comments: "The "candy bar in the shirt pocket" story demonstrates the difference between Engineers and Day Laborers. Any ditch digger would instinctively know not to put his candy bar in his pocket! "

#83 ken ct levels the final blow with "Yea it shows you how smart engineers are,duh. ken ct"

And that's how we got from point A to point Z in a nutshell.