View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #17
JayJay

Default Re: Exhaust manifold glands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
JayJay - I initially measured the combined depth of the block and manifold cutouts and gasket thickness with my dial caliper, then began grinding and test fitting each ring. I used the flat side of the grinding wheel at pretty low speed. I needed to take less than 1/16th” off each gland ring. I also knew that the machine shop had removed less than 1/16” from the combined new exhaust/original manifolds bolted together.

Everything lined up quite well, so installation of the gland rings was easy - unlike trying to use an original exhaust manifold.

I’ve tried to use several original exhaust manifolds in the past three years and all were warped enough that they would not align with the exhaust ports in the block. The new exhaust manifolds from Brattons - and probably other vendors - are well-made and fit very nicely. They’re not identical to original ones, so probably not for a fine-point car.

Good luck - Jim
Thanks, Jim. Indeed, after looking at the manifold after I got it off (old, pitted, crusty, the muffler sealing surface was way pitted), I decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. (Intake manifold is fine, did the requisite breaking off of the bolts holding them together, cleaned it up and the paint is drying as we speak.) Bratton's actually has a fact sheet on fitting the gland rings - I guess I could have avoided this whole thread if I'd just done more research first. But I learned a lot.

Thanks for your help.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote