View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
52FordF3

Default Re: 52 Ford F3 Steering Box Relocation Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
The "problem" with the rack and pinion setup is that the rack moves with the beam axle, but the steering column (obviously) doesn't. So there is a slip joint in the shaft that has to follow all the motions of the axle. I have heard some claims that some OEM used a similar system without issue. In an F-series, there are offsets in the shaft over to the pinion, both laterally and to match the angles. Hard to believe it is going to be a robust system.

There was a guy on FTE who installed the system, but he never provided any real feedback on it.

A friend local to me who is not on here has a GM PS box mounted in front of his stock axle. There were some issues with bump steer, but he fixed them. I can ask him for some pictures.

That would be great if you can find some. I have heard about what you you mentioned but also have read that if the slip joint is installed correctly they will not have any issues. An example that always comes up is a semi cab is floating and always has a slip joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Been looking on and off but no luck yet. When I built my front sway bar the guy wanted me to do another for him as I already had an extra bar. The "extra" bar was actually too narrow..... but he said that was ok because he had swapped to rack and pinion.
If I find the dude I'll give you the details.....

Thanks for checking. I will keep checking in case they pop up.