Thread: Paint stuff
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Logan

Default Re: Paint stuff

Spray your primer at 25 pounds of pressure and turn your fan patter back a quarter turn and slow down your travel speed. Your gap should be 5-6 inches from the panel, and do a 50/50 over lap. 1.3-1.4 tip should be plenty big for high build primers and sealers. The only time you go bigger is for a polyester primer. For that use a 2.0. If it's gravely looking, your to far away and air pressure is to low. Don't be confused by HVLP, the "low pressure" guns still like a decent amount of air pressure. My SATA's and Devilbiss guns love 23-25 pounds for primer and base. Then I crank it up to 26-28 for my clear or if I spray a single stage eurethane. And iwatas like about the same. I've sprayed out of almost every gun made (major manufactures) and I've always preferred the sata's. The iwata throws out a lot of material which therefor uses more material... that all being said, the HF guns work just fine. They're a shorter life gun, but they lay out primer and solid color base just fine. Blending Metallics and laying down clear coat is when the nicer guns really come in handy, besides the longer lifetime and the ability to actually rebuild the guns. Good luck, even with the old hardner and reduced it should still lay out pretty good if all of your settings are correct. You just might have a shrinkage issue using old material as it cures. Don't be afraid to lay down 2-3 wet coats of primer. If you run it, it will sand off. Primer and clear both like to be sprayed right on the verge of running. It's a fine line between a slick coat and a "curtain" run.